Saturday 11 February 2012

Bowtifull

Today I’ve prepared a fun tutorial for you guys. I would like to thank OfficialMassieBlockBlawg for suggesting I do a D.I.Y post so you can learn how to make some gorgeous hair bows. There are two different types of bows you can make but today I will be teaching you the bow tie style one and then I will show you how to make the butterfly one in a later post.
Ever since I started learning how to make bows late 2010, they have been my signature piece du jour. Just as Massie Block has her golden charm bracelet, I have my bows. Once we were sitting in assembly and my friend Alicia (spalpha4life) and Emi were late. I was sitting in the very back corner of the room and when Alicia pointed me out to Emi. Emi was like how can you see so far?! Alicia replied, I can see her rainbow bow from here. Since then, my bow collection has grown heaps, mostly handmade by me although I have some store bought ones given to me as gifts. I have experimented with heaps of different materials; denim, lace, sequinned fabric and felt.
  1. Fold your fabric in half and mark out your desired size. I recommend you use thin fabric because denim and canvas can be hard to manage.
  2. Cut your fabric out using fabric scissors and pin together, right sides facing.
  3. Using your sewing machine, stitch around the open border leaving a 2cm/1 inch gap. If you do not have a sewing machine, hand stitch around the border twice.
  4. Turn fabric inside out and hand sew the gap together using thread that matches the colour of your fabric.
  5. Cut a small strip of fabric out, this will ‘tie’ your bow together.
  6. Fold your bow concertina style and hold the edges together using some pegs.
  7. Place the small strip of fabric in the middle and sew the strip together at the back.
  8. Slip a bobby pin or clip through the ‘tied’ loop. Alternatively, you can slip a safety pin in and wear it as a brooch.

1 comment:

  1. Love your blog! :. I'll definetly follow and come back soon :). Come by my blog is you want too and follow :). I just started blogging yesterday :).

    Ziqqua.blgospot.ca

    ReplyDelete