Friday 23 September 2011

Retro


Howdy
I don’t know why but sometimes when I see a photo shoot featuring one of my favourite celebrities I go, gawd that is so pretty, how could I recreate that make-up/hair look? So when I stumbled upon this gorgeous picture of Selena Gomez, I knew I had to post a beauty tutorial featuring the up-do, red lips and winged eyes. This is my first ever tutorial so let me know whether you like it or not! If you’re not into make up and hair, I’ve added some back to school confidence tips below!
Selena Gomez's Hair & Make-up.
TOOLS OF TRADE: MAC Superslick Liquid Eyeliner Nocturnal One Size, $18, MAC Lipstick Creme Cup (C) One Size, $15, NARS Trio Eyeshadow (Limited Edition) Calanque One Size, $45, MAC Cremestick Liner Summerfruit (C) One Size, $15, NARS Blush – SexAppeal, $27, Bobbi Brown Brow Pencil Mahogany One Size, $20, NARS Illuminator – Orgasm, $29, Bobbi Brown Luminous Moisturizing Foundation, $46, NARS Eye Liner Pencil, $21, Conair CD117 Tourmaline Curling Iron.
THE HAIR (IN A PARAGRAPH)
Note: I got all the tips from my hairdresser! Taking random large sections throughout the hair, curl from the midshaft to ends. Jakkob recommends not worrying about getting too close to the root as you’ll be pulling it back. After curling the ends, gather into a ponytail using a brush and secure with a holder. Pin the front section of the hair into a pompadour (the twisty part). Spray with L’oreal hairspray (I just picked a new bottle up last week and it works well) to lock in the pompadour.
THE LIPS (IN NUMBERED STEPS)
  1. I suggest you head off to Sephora, a department store, M.A.C or a drugstore (if you dare!) with a friend who you can trust to tell you what looks good and what doesn’t. Try orangery reds if you have fair skin; go with deep brick shades if your skin is dark. Medium and golden skin tones look great in true reds.
  2. Sit down in front of your vanity, bathroom mirror or iPhone mirror (not suggested!) and gather all your tools. Next to the photo of Selena Gomez, I have listed the products I used for this whole make up look. This isn’t something you can do in the car – red lipstick requires precision and perfection. Before you put it on, de-flake lips with a wash cloth, then apply (and blot off) lip balm to create a smooth canvas. Next, outline your lips with either a matching red liner or a shade close to your natural lip color to prevent bleeding (unless of course it’s Halloween and you want to look like you’re bleeding). Smudge with your finger to soften the line; then fill in lips with the pencil. Apply lipstick on top, using a lip brush. Blot with a tissue, then reapply.
  3. Fight off fading – before heading out, be sure to tuck your lipstick into your purse for touch-ups. But you don’t have to start from scratch (phew!). Since you already have that great pencil base, you’ll just have to reapply after meals.
THE EYES (IN POINT FORM)
  • Using a black liquid liner with a very thin brush gently drag the brush along your lashline starting from the top inner corner of your eye toward the outer corner of your eye.
  • Be sure to follow the natural shape of your eye. When you try to change the shape of your eyes with liner, it actually makes them look smaller. Very counterproductive.
  • The trick is to line as close to the lashes as humanly possible.
  • The firmer you press the brush, the thicker the line will be.
  • Use a hands-free mirror and keep your eye relaxed and slightly open as you line.
  • This is very important: Once you finish lining your eye, do not blink for at least 10-15 seconds to allow the liner to dry.
  • After you have lined both eyes, be sure to compare the liner on each eye. Are they even? If not, simply take a pointed q-tip and lightly drag the line along the eye to make it symmetrical to the other eye.
I know many girls have already started school or are starting today so here are my go to confidence tips on making an entrance and surviving your first day. Pristiegouswood Academy starts next Friday for freshmen and I’m actually a little excited about going to school!
1. Check your posture. Walking the halls looking like a comma says I’m not worthy. Strutting around like an exclamation point says I have arrived!
2. No nail biting. Every time you bite your nails or pick your cuticles it tips people off that you’re nervous. And no one likes a nervous nail nelly except maybe a manicurist. There are so many fun nail accessories this season. Pick one of those instead. Choose a pretty ring and twirl that around instead.
3. What’s your theme song? Haven’t you learned anything from Massie and the Pretty Committee? Every girl must enter the room to the beat of her theme song. Something fierce and fabulous. A personal favorite is Don’cha Wish Your Girlfriend Was Hot Like Me by the Pussycat Dolls. Yes it’s a few years old but it never lets me down. Save the mellow dramatic woe-is-me songs for the mirror concerts you perform for the stuffed animals in your room.
4. Follow the One Glance Per Day rule. After you have prepped for school take one last look in the mirror. You look ah-mazing, right? Good. Now don’t look at yourself again. Hold on to that image of you looking amazing all day. And you will project amazing. Sometimes I will catch my reflection and realize I don’t look as ah-dorable as I thought I did and then I get bummed. Then I look bummed. Then I feel bummed. And my mood is ruined. But if I can avoid mirrors I can imagine I look fabulous. Then I feel fabulous. Then I really do look fabulous. Get it?
5. Pay Attention In Class. You are at school to learn, right? We can’t forget that. And there’s nothing like being smart to boost your confidence. Because being popular in school is fleeting. Being smart is forever.
6. Only brush your hair/apply gloss/ blush/ mascara/etc. in the bathroom. Do nawt do any of thse in the classroom or people (especially if you go co-education) will think you are either a) a try hard b) vain times ten or c) you’re actually a witch with green skin who has to cake on foundation every five minutes. In addtion, there is no need to overdo your makeup school, go for the au natural look and people will think you are a natural beauty.
Beauty Sources: Herehere and here. Back to school tips: Lisi Harrison’s Blog! (except for the last point). I created the Selena Gomez  polyvore myself.

Karen

4 comments:

  1. Nice blog * Following *

    http://itsluckynumberseven.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for the comment on my blog. you have a great blog, i am now a new follower. :)
    www.modernsuburbanites.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have a great blog, not to mention I love the layout .... I am your new follower.
    nice post, interesting tips :)
    xo

    http://styleidnet.blogspot.com/
    http://styleidcloset.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for your comment, Definitely will follow you back. Also on bloglovin and twitter. http://inhalefashionandbeauty.blogspot.com/
    twitter: @inhale_fandb
    bloglovin'

    ReplyDelete